This is refreshing. After so many days of shock, horror, mudslinging, accusing fingers, and complete let-down, I’m starting to see a big wave of alternative events being set into motion. Here’s the details from The Steampunk Experience.
We truly hope something in all these efforts will help you salvage a weekend to remember. 🙂 Stay safe, stay chilled, there’s more coming!
FACEBOOK EVENT PAGE: Full Steam Metal Racket PLAN B The Steampunk Experience that was at Alt-Fest Plus
DATE: 15 August at 6:00 PM – 17 August at 11:00 PM in UTC+01
LOCATION: Llanfyllin Workhouse, Llanfyllin
As part of the whole Alt-Fest event we were running “The SteamPunk Experience“. With its demise, we’re still running an event. It will include:
- 2 STAGES
- A GAMES AREA – a separate market/workshop area
BANDS/ENTERTAINERS booked so far, with many more TBA (come back regularly for updates and more info):
Frenchy and The Punk
The Mysterious Freak Show
The Dark Design
Montague Jaques fromage and the Steampunk Funk Bizarre
and so far a 3 person burlesque show, with many of the walking acts onboard
LOCAL BUS TIMETABLE: TANAT
Trains to Welshpool available.
Link to the Workhouse Charity site, HERE
MORE INFO ON SOME OF THE PERFORMERS:
- International Purveyor of Victorian Funk, Rap and assorted lyrical conundrums.
- NOMINATED in 2 Categories:
– Steampunk Chronicle’s People Choice Awards 2013
– Best Solo Musician and Person to Watch in 2013
- Often combining Victorian subject matter with a danceable funk backbeat, LMJ3/”Lord Monty” has created an entirely new Steampunk sound that offers a delicious confection of funk and soul interlaced with an occasional touch of Diesel. American pioneer/international performer of Steampunk Funk, the faux-Frenchman will be in MC and performance mode throughout the weekend.
- Northampton‘s finest Steampunk Rock
- They are:
– Gordon “Spook” Stoker. Collector of Macabre stories and artifacts, undertaker to the restless dead. Singer of songs and teller of tales.
– Paul “Shovel hands” Hutchins. Professional pig wrestler. Bassist in ordinary to Queen Victoria.
– Dave Evil. Penny Farthing stunt-man. Beater of skins.
– Amy Teacake Bradford. Key smith and Alchemist.
– Bart ‘Cloud McBuggerballs V’ Chmura. Keeper of the fifth element. Polish Libertine, warrior for freedom and justice, mischief and a recluse on the run from the Okhrana.
- The Darker Side of Steampunk Rock, Comedy Mini Kit set, as well as Main Stage Appearance.
- A mix of German and English members with nearly 500 gigs, 5 albums worth of original songs, showcases in Hamburg, Berlin, Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Denver, London, Birmingham, and tours across two continents.
- BB BlackDog have become a live Band not to miss. Using no overdubs, playing simple catchy music, remaining fiercely independent, and powered by a rapidly growing, loyal band of supporters, BB BlackDog are different, and that’s a good thing!
- New York
- Folk Punk Cabaret
- “Top 25 Duos in the US” by Yahoo Music Blog
- Nominated “Best Band 2013” Steampunk Chronicle’s Readers Choice Awards.
- Nominated “Best Band 2012” SteamCon Airship Awards.
- “The World’s Greatest Steampunk Duo”.
– Samantha Stephenson – French born chanteuse and percussionist.
– Scott Helland – Guitarist, drummer and purveyor of live looping raucous-ness, punk rock guitarist and founding member of the legendary `80’s hardcore band Deep Wound with J Mascis of Dinosaur jr.
- Frenchy and the Punk have performed all across the US and in Canada, Germany, France, and the UK. They have been featured performers at nearly every Steampunk Convention and Faerie Festival in the US. Think Siouxsie and the Banshees meets Django Reinhardt, Johnny Ramone, Edith Piaff, Gogol Bordello and Dresden Dolls, “like the steampunk cabaret love child of the White Stripes and Sonny and Cher”.
- Formed in 2005, 6 CD releases, 1 live DVD.
- The Dark Design are possibly best described by the terms Steam Punk or Victoriana. We come from a world much like yours, but where the romance of discovery and adventure is still aflame. Electricity is still considered by many akin to witchcraft and the world thrums to the beat of iron, the hiss of steam and the click of clockwork. We write songs about Airships, Paddle Steamers, Satanic Nannies and Mermaid Queens with thoughtful prose and with infectious melodies. We are currently recording our debut Album Twelve Tall Tales…
- The Lilly of the Valley, from New York to Europe, from the seniors to the Troubadour founder of MonokelPop … Accompanied by the famous gramophone orchestra with its own special performance of 20’s pop art.
From a Crackly record sound, come famous dance orchestras, coupled with the warm tone of the Lord of mishap, they flatter themselves into the ears of the illustrious audience.
- In his unique 78 rpm accompanied Karaoke Show, he kidnaps his audience in the golden or not quite so golden 20’s and the dawn of the talkies. Original gramophones, stylish accessories, breathtaking wardrobe changes and spontaneous comic repartee, make the charm of an evening with the Lord Saloon tenor.
- Far from the “20’s mainstream“, from. Spicy foxtrot, seductive tango, wicked songs, let the perfect illusion of the 5 o’clock tea in the saloon style of the 20’s rise.
- As a a more mature collective (ah hum) … we have all had many musical adventures throughout the years and all work on other projects still. Miss Pinkski works closely with her producer KIKI in France to create weird electronic wonders. The SteamPUNK Animal (aka Con Harries) is a multi-instrumentalist and our drummer. She plays trombone for the award winning SKA/reggae band Melosa and Skaper too. Phineas Gauge lives with his head in a bass amp listening to the heaviest & loudest of music and has a number of bands under his belt including The Toretz and The Two Hats – He is also one half of the anarchic radio show Revolutionary Radio. Mr Thomas Rosenbloom is another multi-instrumentalist who plays drums with Skaper and a number of other bands. This is his first venture into the world of guitar – and we welcome him with open arms!!!
- MC and Burlesque Performances
- Jezebel Steele is the inner performer of a mild mannered woman from Sheffield (although nobody would believe that), and anyway nowadays she lives on the other side of the Pennines.
- She made her burlesque debut in 2010, and although she believes that it wasn’t very good it did make her determined to improve and get back on stage again.
- Her style has never been described as graceful, but audiences seem to like her comedic take on burlesque and that’s just how she likes it; “if an audience laughs in the first minute, you know you’ve got them on side”.
After realising that it’s not easy to get stage time when you’re new, she followed some good advice and set up her own night; for some reason, it turned out to be successful and she is currently working towards her ambition of “taking over the world… one tassel at a time!”
- She teaches burlesque and organises other charity events, and just sometimes she can be found at her day job.
With great prizes, and a showcase Final.
Registration forms will be available nearer the time of the event.
TEA DUELING: Throughout the Event, Tea duels will take place using “Street Rules” so whilst actual contact is not allowed, Barricking and slating “all in the best possible Taste” is allowed.
THE GRAND STEAMPUNK PARADE
The Highlight of Saturday Afternoon.
Nomination and Voting will commence nearer the Date of the Festival.
With Categories to include.
– Best Dressed Steampunk
– Best Hat
– Best Goggles
– Best steampunk Contraption.
– Best Steampunk Book of the year
– Best Steampunk Song of the year
– Best Steampunk Video of the Year.
– And person who has done the most to promote steampunk in the last year
With a team of professional Photographers and a full green screen room
Attendee’s will be able to have the day captured forever, and placed in a variety of Steampunk Backgrounds, only limited by Imagination.
Throughout the weekend, there will be heats, and a grand final, Racing Clockwork Mice 4 at a time, on a purpose built track. With fantastic prizes for the winners.
With Workshops for everything from Leather Work, Tailoring, Dance, Nerf Gun Mods and much more throughout the weekend.
NERF DUELING COMPETITION:
Again throughout the weekend, there will be heats and a Grand final with wonderful Prizes, for the best Duelist.
Rules and registration form will follow closer to the event, but no Electric of repeater Guns and no hard Projectiles! This is a one shot 10 paces Gentleman’s (or Ladies) duel!
With everything from Croquet to skittles and horseshoes, a wonderful celebration of our old English Pubs and Garden Games
RUN BY THE SCENE, POWERED BY THE PEOPLE!
PRIOR NOTABLE POST – Posted at Facebook Event Page for:
Full Steam Metal Racket PLAN B
(Posted 01 August 2014)
“As most of you know, we and a team of good people were running the Steampunk Experience as an independent stage/area as part of alt-fest. Now that the main event has been cancelled, I can announce there will still be an event hosted by ourselves. We’re talking to 2 venues, have backers, and another of the stages are on-board.
As the headliners have already been paid by myself, we will be running another event, and full details will be announced Monday Night. As you can imagine, there are a lot of t’s to cross and I’s to dot, so bear with me, but there will be an event on the same dates, and it will be fantastic.
Full refunds for Altfest tickets should be available from the ticket agents, and the new event will be much cheaper, (would like to make it free or donation) Although something of this size will have costs, rest assured we will keep our costings and budgets realistic, as we have all along. WATCH THIS SPACE, Refunds for traders not wanting to trade at the new event will also be processed Monday, as will applications for new stalls at the new event, ( as the new event will be cheaper to trade at, the difference will be refunded too
Thanks for all the support, Dale.”
For complete details of scheduled events through The Steampunk Experience, please be sure to check back on their Official Facebook Event Page. You will also find pricing information and transportation options listed there. Have a great time!