As the label states: “In honor of the 20th Anniversary of the first volume of The Unquiet Grave, Cleopatra Records presents The Unquiet Grave 2019 featuring 25 international Post-Punk, Goth, Industrial, Synthwave and Experimental artists from across the dark music spectrum. The original concept behind The Unquiet Grave varied from Cleopatra’s other highly successful boxed set compilations during that time, such as The Goth Box as well as The Black Bible, that featured bands such as Bauhaus, Virgin Prunes and Legendary Pink Dots along with various up-and-coming bands. Meanwhile, The Unquiet Grave exclusively featured newer and obscure artists, showcasing these unheralded hardworking bands that earned the opportunity for exposure to a larger audience. That said, the original 1999 release included such fledgling bands as Bella Morte, Diary of Dreams, Android Lust and Rhea’s Obsession, to name a few. The Unquiet Grave 2019 applies the same formula as that original volume featuring 25 deserving bands from all over the global dark music underground.”
Released June 14, 2019, the album opens with The Ink Bats and their track “No Other”.
- The Ink Bats are part of the exploding Post-Punk scene in Oakland, CA, and “No Other” the opener of this compilation, opens their self-released debut album “Loss” also, that came out in 2017 on CD as well as LP. It’s hard to put your finger on their sound, but their impeccable quality and dark energy has cultivated quite a fast-growing fan base.
- Social Station is a post-punk/dark wave artist based in Washington DC that participates with the track “Try (Cross My Heart)“. With influences ranging from new wave and post-punk to jangle and dream pop, they forge an original haunting but accessible sound.
- Inspired by the gritty extremes of her new digs in New York, German-American performance artist Kai Irina Hahn founded her EBM band The Sedona Effect in 2013 in Brooklyn, NY as a solo project that involved a number of very talented musical collaborators in the US and Europe. The Sedona Effect song is titled “I Burn”. A sexy voice and hard beats blend into distorted melodies that long for a harmony that the estranged self will never reach.
- “Only You” is the title of the Future Pop tune by Antidote For Annie. PaTrick and Tracey, hail from Boston MA, begun in the late 90’s. The project has constantly been growing and transforming, covering a range of styles and sounds. The more things have evolved and matured, the more the soul of the project became clear. An intersection of beauty and melancholia, in turns dark and angry or calm and reflective. Antidote For Annie is about finding your own way through, even if the path keeps changing.
- “Tidal (Panic Lift Mix)” is one more tune made to get you on the dancefloor. Silver Walks happened almost by accident. Born out of Pennsylvania’s seminal Shadowland Lancaster parties, ringleader and primary songwriter Daniel McCullough’s project has blended emotional songwriting with experimentalism and electronics for the last three years. What we have here is a remix of the debut single “Tidal” taken from the EP “Songs of Love and Hate” that came out in May 2019.
- New Zero God appear on this compilation with “Broken Halo”. An unreleased track from the sessions of their fourth album “Circus of Tortured Melodies” that came out on March 15. New Zero God is a five piece post-punk band from Athens, Greece and their history is connected with names such as The Mission, Sisters of Mercy, Sex Gang Children (Andi Sex Gang makes a guest appearance on their latest album) Christian Death, New Model Army and Legendary Pink Dots.
- The Long Losts are a dark rock duo from NY made up of vocalist Anka and her husband Patrick on guitar that began in 2012. Their music combines goth and punk rock with lyrics inspired by their love for each other and the things that they love; Autumn, Halloween, nature, romance, ghosts and their memories all wrapped in a dark Victorian aesthetic. Their song is “Skeleton Thief”…
- Schedule IV is a quintet coming from each of the four corners of Metro Detroit. Featuring Steph Strange (formerly of Strangeling and Venereal Injection), Mike Phipps (Pulse State, ex-D:Konstruct), Don Gransden (formerly of DeLIEN and Siegemachine), Joshua McAllister (formerly of function13 and DeLIEN), and Jervon Molloy (function13), Schedule IV participate with their post-punk composition “Stray”.
- Influenced by artists such as KMFDM, Ministry, Razed in Black and others, New Yorkers, Carlos Marzano and Cliff Cage bring the HypoFixx project to the compilation with the industrial tune “Electrified (Cliff Cage’s Minimal Destruction Mix)”. The original version of this track can be found on their “Symbiosis” album that was released in 2018…
- Lorelei Dreaming is the brain child of Lorelei from Chicago, to bring theatrical electronic music to the stage and digital world. After touring in 2015 and 2016 with Angelspit, doing live guest vocals with Velvet Acid Christ, and debuting live 2016 performances for St. Griselda, Lorelei is teaming up with the incomparable Zoog Von Rock to release this new self-titled project. They offer to the compilation the Digital Gnosis Remix of their “Edge Of The World”. The original version is available on their 2017 “Banshee” album.
- UK’s Fear Incorporated appear here with their “Ouija Board Apparitions”. Fear Incorporated formed in 2008 as a theatre macabre avant garde band. Since then 6 albums two singles,two EPs and a compilation album have been released through various European record labels. Their present line-up consists by William Westwater and Berwyn Waddon.
- Metamorph is a pulse driven entry into other dimensions. A global alchemy of music crossing boundaries with enticing blends of electronics and acoustics, and capable of awakening human potential. Margot Day‘s multi-range vocals and mastery of the flute entwine and merge with producer and multi-instrumentalist Kurtis Knight’s guitar, keyboards, synthesizer and beats. Their song is titled “Winds of Durga”.
- Angel Metro follows with her “Stranger Times”. Angel Metro hails from Charlottesville, Virginia and she created this project to gate her Music, DJ’ing, Acting and Modeling projects. Focused on Gothic, Pin-up, Horror, SciFi, and Post-Apocalyptic stylings.
- Abbey Death is the name of which Abbey Nex and Valerie Abbey (Gentile), from Brooklyn NY, appear on the compilation, offering their track “Trance”. Valerie & Abbey are known for their energetic performances in Combichrist, The Crushadows, Psyclon Nine, Angelspit, Genitorturers & Black Tape for a Blue Girl.
- Formed in early 2000, The Drowning Season is a guitar oriented gothic rock band consisting of Matt Slowikowski (vocals, programming), Jason Lee (guitars, programming), and multi-instrumentalist Sideshow (taking on drum and synth duties) that participate on “The Unquiet Grave 2019” with the track “Brighter Than A Thousand Suns”. They view The Sisters of Mercy, The Mission (UK) and Fields of the Nephilim as their major influences.
- “Mermaids” is the title of the next tune, taken from the album “Monsters” that May May Graves put out last year. The album was produced by Angelspit’s Zoog Von Rock. Billed as the “genderfuck of your nightmares”, May May quit her job as a Church of Christ preacher in 2011 to be in a punk band. It all goes downhill from there. Today, May May Graves has solidified her place in the dfw burlesque and drag scene and has toured stages across America, disappointing billions and captivating few with her dark, witty, and macabre stage presence. In doing that, she was the First Drag Queen to be crowned EVIL QUEEN OF BURLESQUE in 2015 and was even the First Drag Queen featured at the Dallas Burlesque Festival 2014. Her dark, macabre, and campy fetish themed performances have captivated and terrorized audiences across the country. May May can also be seen working as “head queen” at the Dallas School of Burlesque, where she is currently teaching classes in drag, lap dance, and seduction.
- Red Lokust were found in 2015 when Lee Lauer of Aslan Faction approached Jim Semonik of Rein[Forced]– at a KMFDM show. They appear on this compilation with their track “Speechless V2.0” taken from their album “The Repercussions Of Shedding Your Skin” released in 2016.
- “Not As Brightly Lit” is the title of this one by Acclimate. Τhis experimental/ambient project from New Zealand, is the brain child of Artemis Kowalski and Martin Bowes of ATTRITION, appears as a special guest.
- Traumabond from Chicago, Illinois is the industrial project of Jennifer Jilbert and Nicola Palazzo. Their offering is titled “The Collective You”.
- ENGRAM are Martin Bowes and John Costello from the UK. The two of them have created and performed electronic experiments in sound for 30 years apiece. Martin with ATTRITION. John mostly under his own name. Here they participate with their “Hi Teikei No” from their album “Das Kapital” that came out last year.
- The brainchild of EBM/Industrial solo artist Paul M. Graham, Tragic Impulse from Pittsburgh, PA, was born from the ashes of the project Eisengeist. “Space Force” that appears on the compilation, is the first single off of Tragic Impulse’s upcoming album “Echoes of the Unseen” on Distortion Productions.
- Spider Lillies is a four piece from Washington, DC. This is an electro-goth-rock band led by Stacey Campbell, a former guitarist/backup vocalist of the Cruxshadows. The band’s debut album “In the Light” was released in 2006. A second full-length album, “Cyclogenesis,” released in 2009, followed by a remix disc, “Eyes of the Storm,” in 2010, and the “Error EP” in the fall of 2014, featuring new original songs as well as remixes from Aesthetic Perfection, Ego Likeness, Assemblage 23, Sebastian Komor, etc. They have performed with bands such as Ego Likeness, Bella Morte, Voltaire, Adoration Destroyed, Null Device, Project Pitchfork, Ayria, etc. “The Unquiet Grave 2019” compilation features their song “The Error is You”.
- RCH IV aka Richey Rose is a NYC-based musician and songwriter. Originally from Kentucky, Richey began writing songs and playing in local punk bands at age 13. Self-described as ‘dreamy slacker pop with plenty of riffs’, Rose’s songwriting combines his love of Left Coast punk and British new wave with his American South upbringing. His song is “Blodigel”.
- Dreamchild from Boston, Massachusetts, brings to the compilation the song “Alone”. Frank Gerace & Cheryl Wanner (Dreamchild) are well-known composers & musicians, who have provided music for several theatrical productions in Boston. They’re also known for the intensity of their own live performances, and use loops/samples, vocal techniques (ethnic ululation, flamenco flourish & operatic power) and unusual instrumentation to create music of ethereal nightmares and fever dreams.
- The album closes with the track “Wire” by Moss Garten…
The album is produced and compiled by Athan Maroulis